Back row, left to right: BSU Director of Regional Giving Darren Swain ('93, '95), Estelle Johnson ('65, '75), BSU Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving Rosalind Muchiri ('03), and Clarence Mollock ('72) _(front row, left to right): Beatrice Payne ('28), J. Sidney Sheppard ('47), and Essie Banks ('48).
Dr. George Simmons, author of an unpublished manuscript on the history of Bowie State University.
Former BSU President Samuel L. Myers (1967-77) reflects on the University's 150th anniversary.
BSU National Alumni Association President John Word introduces some of the University's early educators who graduated from the school in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s.
Karen Shaheed, Bowie State general counsel and co-chair of the Sesquicentennial Steering Committee.
Murvyn Cannady, II ('18) sings a stirring rendition of the spiritual, "Deep River," accompanied by BSU Professor of Music Latonya Wrenn.
William Thomas ('02), the 2009 Maryland Teacher of the Year, reflects on all the ways that Bowie State prepared him to become an outstanding educator.
On January 9, 1865, the Baltimore Association for the Moral and Educational Improvement of Colored People opened one of Baltimore City’s first free schools for blacks in the African Baptist Church in Crane’s Building on the corner of Calvert and Saratoga Streets. Bowie State University (BSU) evolved from that early school teaching the elements of education into a comprehensive, diverse university preparing students for a changing world. The university officially launched a year-long celebration of the 150th anniversary of its founding at Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture in January. Above: BSU's first graduating four-year class from 1941.
The faculty of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie in 1912.