58.5 F
Baltimore
Saturday, September 24, 2022

Kidney and Funds Needed for Baltimore Man with a Spirit of Service

Roosevelt V. Boone III’s journey to find a living kidney donor and raise funds to support his pursuit of overcoming a serious health challenge serves as a lesson in faith. The Baltimorean recently created a GoFundMe account to spread the word about his hope-filled mission.

“I have been accepted into the transplant institute at NYU under Dr. Robert Montgomery and Dr. Ali,” Boone wrote on his GoFundMe page. “I need your financial assistance because my insurance will only cover 80% of my medical cost for services rendered outside the state in which I reside. The remaining 20% could be as much as $250,000. In addition, I will need reasonable accommodations for an estimated two-to-four weeks during the postoperative transplant stage so the doctors at NYU can follow me until I am able to return home. If I can find a living donor, I will have a living donor transplant.”

Enduring dialysis treatment three days a week has not stopped Boone, who regards himself as a spiritual person, from striving for a better tomorrow. Dialysis is what keeps him living, but the procedure he describes as “lifesaving,” ultimately destroys organs, lessens focus and memory, and is physically draining.

Since Boone was diagnosed with high antibodies, a kidney transplant would be more challenging. He explained that only two jurisdictions are conducting this type of transplant and have been sanctioned by the FDA. His current options to get the operation would be heading to NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, or in California.

Boone had a kidney transplant that was conducted at John Hopkins Hospital in 2011. Blood work determined that a virus took him down an unfortunate path.

 “I was doing everything right, but the virus caused me to lose the functioning of that kidney, and I got into a particular program to get another transplant, but my antibodies were too high,” Boone said.

High blood pressure caused the initial problem that left Boone needing a kidney and ultimately coping with end stage renal disease.

“I am open to people at this stage who would be willing to donate a kidney,” Boone said.

He explained that a donor could live any place in the U.S. Boone wants to proceed with a transplant at NYU Langone Medical Center.

According to NYU Langone Transplant Institute’s information, when their doctors can “perform kidney and liver transplants from living donors, this allows for shorter wait times and improved health for kidney and liver recipients.”

 Boone added that he believes that some people, especially in the African American and Latino communities, misunderstand the process of becoming a living organ donor.

“The donor has to go through a litany of tests to make sure that they’re medically sound,” Boone also explained.

The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) is the “largest, most comprehensive and longstanding organization dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease.” NFK provided information online stating that “as long as the donor is evaluated thoroughly and cleared for donation, he or she can lead a normal life after the surgery.”

  Boone hopes to find someone who will step up to assist him.

 “I don’t want to just be here and die. I want to offer some things. I’ve got knowledge. I’ve got experience. I’ve got love, and I’ve got joy within myself,” Boone said.

The Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. member who attended University of Maryland, College Park has worked on behalf of marginalized communities and their residents. Boone also worked and volunteered on major human rights initiatives, according to his GoFundMe page. He was a founding board member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) in Prince George’s County, Maryland and has held leadership positions across various sectors.

Boone cannot currently work due to health challenges, but he volunteers on boards when he is able, in addition to contributing to the community in other ways. Boone wants to resume working with different organizations and individuals at a high level. He is a believer that he is on the planet to serve.

“I’m asking people to give whatever their heart tells them to do,” Boone said, referring to his fundraiser.

Individuals who want to volunteer to help Boone should send a message through his GoFundMe page

Donations may be made via https://gofund.me/60918fca.

Author | Click Here to See More posts by this Author

Related Articles

Get in Touch

4,900FansLike
3,800FollowersFollow
4,500SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Posts